What is Godly Play?
The result of a lifetime of research and practice by theologian, author and educator The Rev. Dr. Jerome Berryman, the Godly Play® method is a curriculum of spiritual practice exploring the mystery of God’s presence in our lives.
The Godly Play curriculum engages what is most exciting about religious education: God inviting us into—and pursuing us in the midst of—Scripture and spiritual experience.
Godly Play practice teaches us to listen for God and to make authentic and creative responses to God’s call in our lives.
- Promotes knowledge, skills empathy, values, spiritual growth
- Develops the needs of the whole child: mind, body and spirit
- Provides a multisensory approach to learning
- Develops language and communication skills
- Gives everyone the opportunity to speak for themselves
- Develops thinking skills
- Provides depth and reflection in every session
- Gives time for learning
- Promotes originality, independent choice and decision making
- Uses visual, auditory and kinaesthetic approaches to learning.
Wooden sets are used and children (and adults) encouraged to wonder about what they have seen, heard and experienced.
Godly Play sets
We have about 19 sets which you are welcome to borrow.
The list of titles can be downloaded here.
Each box contains the necessary pieces and a script.
Please contact Sarah if you would like to borrow a set.