Friday, 13 December 2013 10:03

Grants for Older People

Funding for work with isolated elderly people 
CUF recently received a generous legacy of £50,000 from one of their supporters to be used to support work with isolated elderly people. They are sharing this through the Together Grants Programme.  If you want to discuss possibilities locally, the best person to contact would be your diocesan CUF link officer, Gareth Greenwood, tel: 01332 388690; gareth.greenwood@derby.anglican.org.

The Church Urban Fund are  keen to ensure that the money available does get spent!   

More information about the Together Grant programme can be found at http://www.cuf.org.uk/how-we-help/cuf-funding/together-grants

Wakeham Trust supporting the improvement of communities 
Support for groups of individuals as well as small community and voluntary groups that want to improve their communities.  Small projects favoured - often, start-ups. Grants are usually £75 - £750 to help people rebuild their communities. See: http://www.wakehamtrust.org/

The Allen Lane Foundation 
Grants for up to 3 years with a value of £500-£15k for work which benefits people older people.  The Foundation focuses on work which will make a lasting difference to people’s lives rather than simply alleviating the symptoms or current problems; is aimed at reducing isolation, stigma and discrimination; and encourages or enables unpopular groups to share in the life of the whole community.  http://sdcvs.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/allen-lane-foundation/

Grants are available to people who have a connection with the mining industry 
This could be retired mineworkers, widows or children of mineworkers  (including those who worked in NCB canteens, offices etc). Grants of £500 and up to £350 for electrical goods, there is a means test.  They may also assist with stairlfts.

Examples of funding include:

• Decorating expenses 

• Gardening 

• £500 grant on a yearly basis to children of mineworkers attending university 

• Holidays 

• Assistance with funeral expenses 

• Electrical goods up to £350 

• Technical aids and equipment 

• Wheelchairs and scooters 

Reasonable requests from those with a connection with the mining industry will be considered. They are very keen to spend their resources.  

Workers only need to supply name, address and telephone number (obviously with consent) and then someone will contact them in order to make a home visit.

Referrals may by phone on 01623 625767 between 9.30-2.30pm or by fax 01623 626789  The address is: CISWO, Welfare Offices, Berry Hill Lane, Mansfield, Notts. NG18 4JR.

DDCVS Health Development Fund 
Derbyshire Dales CVS have a fund which they administer on behalf of both Derbyshire County Primary Care Trust and the Derbyshire Dales and High Peak Local Strategic Partnership‘s Choosing Health fund. The fund is used to make grants to voluntary and community groups in the Derbyshire Dales for health and well-being activities related activities. Grants awarded are up to £500. Larger grants can be considered in exceptional circumstances. To apply for this fund you must: Be a non-profit making voluntary sector organisation or community group that is based in and / or works in the Derbyshire Dales; have an annual turnover of less than £20,000 in your last financial year; have a management committee; have a bank account in the name of the organisation; have a constitution or other form of governing document.  Download an application form and information sheet about the grant from www.ddcvs.org.uk or email enquiries@ddcvs.org.uk. If you would like a copy posted to you please tel 01629 812154.

Skipton Building Society Charity Foundation 
The Foundation is exclusive to registered charities and support is given by way of direct donations between £500 and £10,000. They consider donations to projects where there is clear and immediate benefit to the recipients in the UK; where charities' objectives are to benefit children, through education and/or welfare, or the elderly and their care. For further information including access to an application form, please go to www.skiptoncharitablefoundation.co.uk/index.htm

Greggs Foundation Regional Grants 
Greggs, the sandwich shop, operates a regional small grants programme. It is able to fund local charitable and voluntary organisations, supporting local people in need. Grants are available to a maximum of £2000, and they prioritise: carers / disabled people / homeless people  / older people.  Application is by email or letter to Greggs Foundation, Fernwood House, Clayton Road, Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE2 1TL.  For full details go to their website www.greggsfoundation.org.uk and click on regional grants.

Aid for the Aged in Distress 
Is a small charity which offers direct financial assistance to older people in the form of grants http://www.aftaid.org.uk/?dm_i=3MG,CXGE,7H5L8,10SDJ,1

Bodfach Trust 
Awards grants to third sector organisations in the UK assisting the young and elderly and running community projects. The Trust is particularly keen to support small charities, and the majority of grants awarded are for up to £500. www.bodfachtrust.org.uk 

Erewash Small Grants Scheme  
Is your group thinking about a new project which meets one of the following health improvement priorities: improve health for families and young people, promote physical activity, mental health, promote healthy eating, prevent accident, improve health for older people, promote the reduction of health inequalities.  Grants of up to £1500 are available.    Contact Stella on 0115 9466740 or email stella@erewashcvs.org.uk  

Independence at Home 
Independence at Home is a national charity that helps improve independence, comfort, safety, dignity and quality of life for people with long-term illness and disability by helping towards the cost of adaptations, equipment or other things that are not available from public funds. During 2008 Independence at Home made grants to 1,250 people. The type of adaptations and equipment funded in the past include:

•        The cost of home adaptations for disability, house repairs and other building work

•        Equipment such as specialised powered scooters and wheelchairs to restore a measure of lost mobility

•        Other special equipment for disability such as through-floor lifts and stair lifts, special beds, riser-recliner chairs and other specialised seating, hoists and bath lifts

•        Household goods such as white goods, furniture, flooring and furnishings – where the need for these things was directly related to the person’s illness or disability

•        Help towards the cost of heating their homes across the winter months. In many cases, this included helping people who had been asked to pay a contribution towards the statutory disabled facilities grant.

To be eligible to apply an individual will need to be referred to Independence at Home by a:

•        social worker

•        occupational therapist

•        specialist nurses

•        disability and health advice workers

•        or key workers from other major charities. 

Applications can be made at any time. 


Nationwide Foundation Grants 
The Foundation currently makes grants to registered UK charities which offer financial and / or housing related support to older people in a range of categories.  Small Grants Programme - this offers grants of up to £5,000 to registered charities with incomes of under £500,000. The Nationwide Foundation, Nationwide House, Pipers Way, Swindon SN38 2SN.  Tel: 01793 655113; Email: enquiries@nationwidefoundation.org.uk; www.nationwidefoundation.org.uk. 

Last modified on Monday, 29 February 2016 13:23