Thursday, 25 March 2010 13:41


  • Share this


The new rules governing licensing applications for Village Halls and other Community Premises have come into force, through the Dept. for Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS). This appears to make it simpler to apply for temporary licenses or variations to a current license. Churches per se do not need a licence for concert or theatre performances (although church halls do need a licence for such use), so long as no sales of alcohol take place. Find explanation / news release at: http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/media_releases/6288.aspx. Find more at link http://www.churchcare.co.uk/legal.php?GN . Find links to relevant applications forms at: http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/alcohol_and_entertainment/3189.aspx

Churches and Faith Buildings: Realising the Potential

The paper has been produced by a working group comprising officials from Her Majesty’s Treasury, Communities and Local Government, Office of the Third Sector in the Cabinet Office, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and Defra in conjunction with representatives of the Church of England. The paper should help dioceses and similar structures in other denominations and faiths to have a better understanding of how to access resources that will enable them to engage directly at a strategic level with the local and regional structures within which funding priorities and decisions are made. In turn, these structures and funders will be better equipped to understand the important role of the C of E and faith groups in delivering public services. A hard copy can be obtained from rebecca.payne@c-of-e.org.uk or read the full report on http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/cathandchurchbuild/realising.doc.

Building Faith in our Future

To receive information and funding news relevant to church buildings register as a Building Faith Supporter and receive copies of the Building Faith in our Future e-bulletin, please contact: Becky Payne at: Email: rebecca.payne@c-of-e.org.uk ; Phone: 020 7898 1886

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings

New resources relating to Faith in Maintenance see: http://www.spabfim.org.uk/pages/making_the_dvd.html


ACRE have produced a Briefing Paper on changes to be introduced to the Licensing Act 2003, which directly relate to alcohol sales in rural church & community premises. The ACRE briefing is at: http://www.acre.org.uk/DOCUMENTS/publications/briefings/LicensingBriefingMarch2009.pdf


"Legislative Reform (Supervision of Alcohol Sales in Church & Village Halls etc.) Order 2009" A draft copy can be found at: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2009/draft/ukdsi_9780111471265_en_1


Do you run a charity shop? Do you run a village hall?

The Health and Safety Executive have added a relevant case study to their case study examples of risk assessments. Already available is one for a village hall. See http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/index.htm

Related information is available at: http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/askncvo/index.asp?id=204&terms=health%20and%20safety

And http://www.ecclesiastical.com/ourproducts/riskservices/legalrequirementsandhealthandsafetyadvice/index.aspx




Last modified on Sunday, 24 February 2013 00:14