Latest training / events from internal and external networks
Caring for Gods Acre Webinar mini series free to members, low cost to non members. Timing 2-3.30 Webinars – Caring For God's Acre (caringforgodsacre.org.uk)
23 Nov Caring for Fungi in Burial Grounds
14 Dec Saints, Springs and Sanctuary
Green Christian Events:
Webinars from Green Christian: see Green Christian Online Workshops – Green Christian for booking and full details
- Wednesday 16 November - Intergenerational Equity
- Wednesday 14 December - Towards a Politics of Communion
Climate intercessors monthly Zoom prayer meet is on the second Tuesday of the month
at 1pm or 8pm.
It is a well managed international prayer gathering
with items of focus - both well researched and with continuity.
Recommended by DEO as a useful space to listen, thank God and interceed on these issues it is highly recommended. It is also a valued antidote to being overwhelmed or grieving the impact of humans on the planet. there is also a monthly update to direct your prayers see Prayer Resources & Guides — Climate Intercessors.
Local News: Eco Church newsletter
If you are from a parish in Diocese of Derby and want to obtain the newsletter then email. It is offered approximately three times a year. Last publication date was 19 October 2022.
It includes training opportunities and is recommended for Eco Churches and parishes working to net zero.
Citizen Science: Churches Count on Nature
Catch up on the Webinars on Land and Nature for Churches Count on Nature
Operation Noah: News Expanding the Bright Now Campaign.
Church Land and the Climate Crisis report 2022: says we should 1) get our own house in order, 2) use our assets- land and investments- wisely, 3) use our voice.
Environmental Fundraising - webinar recordings can be viewed here.
- “There is no Planet B” and “How bad are bananas?” by Mike Berners Lee
- “Wilding” by Isabella Tree – about nature and rewilding in general and the Knepp Estate (West Sussex) in particular
- “Saving Us: A Climate Scientist's Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World” by Katharine Hayhoe
- “A Christian Guide to Environmental Issues” by Martin J Hodson and Margot R Hodson
- Grace Thomas, DEO for Manchester, “Climate Action as Mission: How to Link the Gospel with Safeguarding Creation”
- Rachel Mash, Green Anglicans, “Renewing the Life of the Earth: Christian Discipleship and Environmental Action”
- Policy interest Watch the Climate Assembly UK documentary on BBC iPlayer | involve.org.uk
IPCC report Feb 2022 shows climate change is hitting wildlife hard.
IPCC report published (Aug 2021) shows
- It is unequivocal that human behaviour is changing the climate
- The impacts of climate change are already being felt in every region across the globe (temperate regions are not safe)
- The impacts of climate change will continue to get worse until we stop burning fossil fuel
- The longer we leave it to make change, the worse the impacts will be
Eco Church case studies and webinars from the CofE.
40 parishes in this Diocese have registered as Eco Churches. 11 have achieved awards. 18 Dioceses have achieved Bronze Eco Diocese awards.
To contact a local church engaging or find volunteering opportunities contact or go to find a church.
The Eco Church website has a resources page - everything from measuring your carbon footprint, or being wildlife friendly to different types of recyclable cup available.
Please contact us when you register your parish so we can keep in touch with your news and share training and new resources. If you have been on the journey for sometime, please give the best email contact for your parish or benefice.
SPAB - Society for Protection of Ancient Buildings
Advice in this Diocese is from DAC
- Church of England churches - Energy Footprint Tool This tool will reopen in 2023
- Any church - 360Carbon - includes energy, transport, food, procurement, and more
- National report on the findings of the Energy Footprint Tool
Useful carbon footprint transport calculator from Climate Stewards - it allows you to compare journeys.
The Environment Working Group are looking car charging points currently so advice will be forthcoming.
OZEV - grants for EV car charging posts.
EV charging posts Zap Map.
(note - church webinar programme above includes a webinar on EV car charging).
Simply car share journeys, use of public transport and active travel are ways to act more sustainably too.
ARocha UK produced prayers including videos for Great Big Green week Pray with us this Great Big Green Week - A Rocha UK.
A new resource combining the benefits of previous resources with preaching notes and ideas for every Sunday in the lectionary.
Churches could do more on climate change.
Tearfund report with young Christians: only 1:10 young people say churches are acting as they should.
Two thirds of young people had never heard a Sunday sermon on the issue.
>> Tearfund campaigns information.
Worship and music
Outdoor worship guidance page
Creation-themed liturgy A Time for Creation
Liturgy for the Agricultural Year
Doxecology by Resound worship
Bishop Olivia of Reading’s theological reflections (+Olivia chairs the Oxford net zero taskforce)
A Rocha International - YouTube channel - search for Dave Bookless New Wine talks NL 2020
Land and nature
Land and nature webinar programme - A great place to start, with lots of videos offering practical advice on a wide range of topics from bats to biodiversity, trees to Forest Church, and managing your grass. (You can also find them as a single YouTube playlist here.)
Bats in Churches project .
Saying Yes to Life Ruth Valerio, written as a lent course - useful stand alone chapters for novice and engaged Christian. Highly readable. Available as a book and as a e-read. Second hand as little as £2.50.
Tenants of the King, a 4 part study updated for 2022 looking at what the Bible has to say about climate change, from Operation Noah. Worth looking at purely for answers to common questions pages 22-25. Paper copies were offered at clergy Conference 2018 so ask around and it was recommended by those who used it.
Dave Bookless Planetwise and God doesn't do waste. The study series for planetwise. Dave was a founder of A Rocha Uk which gave rise to Eco church.
Faith in a Changing Climate USPG downloadable study resource with case studies from across the Anglican Communion. It includes a very helpful page on Climate Change FAQs
Bible study based on Cherishing the Earth (2008) Margot and Martin Hodson- six week course. A blend of science and theology.
Let there be stuff...? Course of 6 sessions aimed at teenagers/ young adults.
7 weeks detox from consumerism. Based on Consumer Detox by Mark Powley, St Georges, Leeds.
Christian Aid Theology of Climate Change.
Church Mission Society study resource 'The Possible world'.
Plenty from Joy in Enough (Green Christian) offer a study and a challenge to rethink our economy, acknowledge our complicity in consumerism and climate change.
Range of resources from A Rocha including one based on Jesus and the earth, James Jones (2003).
Caring for Creation and Living in Hope York Courses.
Derbyshire Churches Environment Network service outline aimed at use in small social distanced groups in the outdoors.
Climate is highly political, some global multinationals have alot to loose. So Climate Denial hasn't gone away – here's how to spot arguments for delaying climate action. New research exposes the common tropes of bad faith arguments about climate change. Read more in The Conversation UK
Frameworks for individual / household action
- Creation Care, a framework for households which congregations can follow together
- Count us in - 16 high impact steps which individuals can take to cut carbon
- WWF Footprint Calculator - simple footprint tool, and an informative process
Frameworks for schools and youth
- For schools: resources from Let’s Go Zero, Eco Schools, Christian Aid, and PECT
- For youth engagement: resources from Tearfund, Christian Aid, and ACEN
- The CofE net zero carbon schools webinars
- Letters for Creation, and joint project with Christian Aid. Resources include an assembly, lesson plans, and resources to help produce creative letters and art.
- Watch the recordings of CofE webinars on environmental fundraising for environmental projects
- CofE grants funding guide from Parish Resources
- And a suite for “how to” guides from Parish Resources.
- Community Energy England funding opportunities
- For local grants, find out whether you have a local CVS (Council for Voluntary Services). If so, they generally have a free searchable grants directory. Also contact the sustainability or community engagement officer at your local authority or in the DM+M team and at webpage.
Green Christian magazine is freely available online.
List of councils who have declared a Climate Emergency.
Repair Cafe helps reduce waste through mending items that might otherwise be discarded. Please note there are conditions to using the name and logo.
There may be one nearby you can access - in New Mills, Eyam, Chesterfield.
Refil app. If your church has a publicly available tap which people could use to refil drinking bottles (and reduce waste) you can add it to this scheme.
For the keen cyclist - the cathedral cycle route challenge
Plant Lock bike rack - as one example of what is possible where there is no local scheme available.
- The CRES (Christian Rural & Environmental Studies) courses
- Scythe Association to find trainers in scything
- The Climate Resilient Church landing page
- Forest Church Grove Booklet - a good place to start if you want to know about Forest Church
- Forest Church facebook group
- Wild church page
Food in the Anthropocene, how changes in diet could feed the planets population.
Sustainable Heating and Lighting conference [Powering Gods Northern Powerhouse Dec 2018] resources to download.