Do you have a small church project that could have a big impact?

Are you looking for a relatively small grant that requires no match funding?

If so, this could be just right for you; £5,000 to fund small but not insignificant capital projects that will generate outcomes which achieve and support mission, community or growth.

There are always good ideas on the boil to enhance welcome, improve accessibility, or perhaps to make small but much needed changes to internal areas. So now is the time to make a significant impact through a small change.

Details, including a full list of criteria and downloadable application form, are available below.

Application deadlines are:

  • 20 March for an April decision
  • 26 June for a July decision
  • 18 September for an October decision
  • 4 December for a January 2021 decision

If you are successful, you will be expected to draw on the grant within 12 months.

Please note: If you have a larger project which you are looking to fund, the Raymond Ross Large Grant Scheme will become available again shortly – watch out for announcements on this website or in E-news.

>> Download The Raymond Ross Small Grants Scheme information and criteria [PDF]

>> Download The Raymond Ross Small Grants Scheme application form [Word]

Update: 16 September 2019

Nadine Waldron, the diocesan registrar, writes:

I have now had an update from Dr Sandra Millar, Head of Life Events, at the National Church Institutions, to the effect that no start date has yet been set for the commencement of the new rules relating to registration of marriages.  We have, therefore, cancelled the sessions which were due to take place at the end of October.  When we know that the new rules are to be introduced and when, we will arrange further sessions and let you all know.

For the moment, please continue with marriage registration in the normal way.  


20 August 2019

Nadine Waldron, the diocesan registrar, writes:

Major Changes to the Registration of Marriages

As I'm sure many of you will be aware, an Act of Parliament has recently been passed to introduce major changes to the way marr ia ges are to be registered. The Regulations to give precise details of the changes have not yet received parliamentary approval, although the Archbishops' Faculty Office has intimated that the Government wants the new syste m to be operative from 2nd December 2019. That is the date we must work to, even though it is not, as yet, the confirmed start date.

The new method of registration will be very similar to that which has been operating in Scotland and Northern Ireland for a long time. I am assured by a member of our clergy who ser ved for a number of years in Scotland, that it is not something to be frightened of! It will, however, mean the end of our marriage registers and their replacement by a 'Marriage Document'. The couple will be responsible for taking that Document to the civil registrar within seven days of the marriage. Someone can do this on their behalf, but it won't be the priest's responsibility to ensure that is done.

Banns, Common Licences, Special Licences and a Superintendent Registrar's Certificates (SRC) will continue, as will Qualifying Connections, although the usual two SRCs will be replaced by a single one. At present, I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the proposals but I am assured I will be trained as soon as practicable. In the hope that I will have received training in September, the Mission and Ministry team are planning three workshops across the Diocese when I will be able to explain the process in more detail. It is hoped that these will be at:

a) in the Peak Deanery
b) Danesmoor
c) Derby City

Dave King, our Media Officer, will make sure there is something on the Diocesan website, e·news and Facebook and, eventually, we shall try to have Questions and Answers on the website.

In the meantime, please be aware of the fact that changes are coming in and please do your best to attend one of the workshops. Don't panic; go through your normal procedure for banns or whatever the marriage preliminaries are in any individual case; warn your marriage couples that changes are coming in and that they may need to register their 'Marriage Document' at the civil Register Office.

Kat and Ellie, from the Mission  and  Ministry  Team,  will  be in  touch with details of the workshops.

church candles 2qXiQkgEUPE unsplash

The Sanctuary at Derby Cathedral is your #1 option for ALL church supplies including candles, communion wafers and wine, incense, baptism cards, marriage and burial registers. 

It also offers a discount of 10% on all orders over £30.00 and invoicing options are available for all churches.

Most items are in stock and available for immediate purchase.

Delivery options are also available.

The Sanctuary at Derby Cathedral is a great place to buy Christian books and a wide range of locally produced gifts.

Order your church supplies:
In Person:    The Sanctuary at Derby Cathedral, Iron Gate
                     (opposite Derby Cathedral)
Phone:          01332 227660

How your church can start taking card payments!

As fewer people carry cash, it’s becoming increasingly important for parishes to look at alternative ways to receive payments and donations.

There’s a new category on the Parish Buying website to help churches consider the different types of reader for contactless and chip and pin card payments.  

Alongside small hand-held card readers (which cost as little as £19 each) there now are more sophisticated self-service donation units available for churches to buy.

To find out more visit


>> Churches that have trialled a digital collection box have reported a 97% increase in donations! Read more (from BBC News)


How can my Church start taking card payments? card reader cathedral crop

Watch this short video from the National Stewardship Team:

How do I download an app to use my card reader?

Watch this short video from the National Stewardship Team:

Why should I set up products?

Watch this short video from the National Stewardship Team:

How do I claim Gift Aid on a card donation?

Watch this short video from the National Stewardship Team:


>> See also: Parish Giving Scheme


To download a copy of the Clergy Housing Guide please click here

For enquiries regarding clergy housing please contact the Property Team


Tel: 01332 388650



To ensure the best use of our resources we have compiled a list of suitably approved contractors for your reference. Please remember try to ensure that only emergencies will be dealt with out of hours. As you will appreciate an emergency out of hours repair costs the Diocese substantially more than a repair carried out during normal office hours. 

Please ensure all emergency repairs are to be reported to the Church House Property Team as soon as possible. You should contact us on 01332 388650 Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm. You will need to provide a brief description of the repair, the contractor who attended, and most importantly your contact details. This way the repair can be monitored, audited and managed. 

What is an emergency?

An emergency repair is any fault which threatens harm to persons or property. Examples include; 

1 Heating and hot water 

Where you or your home is at risk due to a major water leak from any part of the heating system, and where the heating system fails. 

Please note: Not having hot water is not considered an emergency if you have an electric immersion heater and/or an electric shower. An exception to this would be for household members who are frail, elderly or registered disabled.

2 Gas leaks 

If you smell gas, please telephone (British Gas) on 0800 111 999 who will attend to isolate the meter and make safe where necessary. 

3 Total lack of water supply 

Before contacting a plumber, please check with the water utility company to ensure that works are not being carried out in the area. 

4 Total lack of electricity supply 

Before contacting an electrician, please check with the electricity utility company to ensure that works are not being carried out in the area. 

Please check the electrical distribution box – has one or more fuses tripped? 

5 Plumbing leaks 

If the leak is causing damage, then it will be considered an emergency - especially if penetrating into an electrical fitting. In the interim you should turn off your water supply at your stopcock or gate valve, and your electricity supply. 

6 Blockages 

If you have access to more than one WC, and only one is blocked, then please arrange for a plumber to attend during normal working hours.

7 Roof leaks or other damage 

Where the damage to the roof is likely to worsen or when it is hazardous (eg roof tiles may fall onto a path, drive or highway), then please ring a roofing or general building contractor identified within this handbook. Please be aware that in the event of adverse weather conditions, the contractor will only make the roof safe. The Church House Property Team, will then liaise with the contractor to arrange a permanent repair for a later date when good weather permits. 

8 Downpipes and gutters 

Please only contact an emergency building contractor if water is entering the building causing major damage or the loose part is dangerous. 

9 Broken windows & Doors 

Where the damage is caused as a result of a crime. In this case, please notify the local police force who will supply you with a crime reference number, which we will need for our records and report the matter to the Church House Property Team. 

For other breakages, if they pose a security risk or are letting rainwater in, then please arrange for a contractor to attend.

10 Door locks 

Please arrange to contact the locksmith: 

1. If you cannot open or secure a door. 

2. In the unfortunate event that you have been the target of criminals who may have stolen your keys, then please report this matter to the police and obtain a crime reference number, and report the matter to the Church House Property Team. 

11 Dangerous trees 

Trees are particularly vulnerable to the effects of high winds during a storm and sustain various types of damage as a result. If a tree is unsafe and unstable and there is imminent danger to persons and property, where possible please take supportive photographic evidence and contact the emergency tree work specialist outlined within this booklet. 

We are committed to offering a first class repair service. If you have to arrange for a contractor to attend to an emergency, then please ensure the Church House Property Team are informed as soon as possible at the following address: 

The Property Team 


Tel: 01332 388650

 Please click the links below to download information

All Derby Deaneries and Carsington Emergency Contacts

Hardwick and North East Deaneries Emergency Contacts

High Peak Deanery Emergency Contacts



Curates in IME phase 2

matt barnesThe director of Mission and Ministry, the Revd Canon Matt Barnes, is currently responsible for the training of curates and their training priests in the Diocese of Derby.

The Curacy Handbook contains useful information for both curates and their training incumbents along with the training programmes for each. It is updated each Petertide.

Click here to download the curacy handbook 2019 (revised 2.1.2020) [PDF]




CMD and applications for CMD grant

matt barnesThe director of Mission and Ministry, the Revd Canon Matt Barnes, has responsibility for the CMD programme for clergy and for authorising applications for CMD grants.

The application form was revised in 2019. Please note applications should be made on the new form and in advance of the event rather than retrospectively.

Download the CMD grant application form (Word doc)


Application forms should be sent directly to Marietta Forman at Derby Church House or by email to

If you have any queries, do please get in touch with Marietta on 01332 388673.


Applications for Sabbaticals and Study Leave

The Guidelines and applications form have recently been revised. 

If you are interested in applying for a Sabbatical or Study leave in 2020, do get in touch with Matt Barnes by the end of Feb 2020 to allow sufficient time to meet with him to plan and prepare your application for submission in June 2020. Appointments can be arranged through Marietta Forman tel 01332 388673. 

The process is set out in the Sabbatical and Study Leave Guidelines (Word doc).

All applications will be considered at the Bishop's Staff meeting in June.


Other sources of funding

Clergy seeking funding for personal development or for academic courses might also consider applying to Lichfield Theological College Trust: Please note that Application Forms for grants from the Lichfield Theological College Trust must be submitted via The Revd Canon Matt Barnes, to be counter-signed before they are sent to the Trust.

Download the Lichfield funding form for personal development (Word doc)

Download the Lichfield funding form for academic courses (Word doc)

It is also worth looking at the following sites:

ministry bursary awards

Click here for more information on the Wren Heritage Fund and other grants available through the National Churches Trust.

Please click here for the National Grants List which lists the charitable grants available to churches

Page 1 of 2

The Diocese of Derby

For SatNav directions, please use DE1 3DR. However, please note that the car park behind Derby Church House (Derby Cathedral Car Park) is contract only Monday-Friday and so unavailable to visitors. Paid parking is available at Chapel Street Multistorey Car Park (DE1 3GU), Park Safe (Bold Lane) DE1 3NT and the Assembly Rooms Car Park (DE1 3AF). Derby Cathedral Car Park is available as paid parking on Saturdays and Sundays.

Contact Us

Derby Church House

Full Street, Derby DE1 3DR

01332 388650